Tucked inside a building along the Donaukanal in Vienna, Austria, you’ll find Andante; an area they describe as a “culinary stage” for cooking classes, workshops or presentations. An area that has been created for cultural and culinary encounters, Andante has created a space where strangers and friends can immediately feel comfortable sharing their culinary heritage.
Whether you’re interested in creating the perfect dough for an apfelstrudel, want to venture into the world of organic produce or find out where the best places are to find that perfect pecorino cheese, the team at Andante are available to help.
We recently embarked on a culinary journey with Andante, where we learnt how to make apfelstrudel (apple strudel). Here’s the recipe:
Makes: 8 – 10 portions
2.5 cups bread flour
1 tbs salt
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 cup lukewarm water
2 cups breadcrumbs
½ cup sugar
1 cup butter
½ cup liquid butter
Powdered sugar (for sprinkling)
1 strudel cloth
10 cups peeled apples
1 tsp cinnamon
⅓ cup raisins
½ cup rum
Juice of 1 lemon
- Knead the bread flour, salt, vegetable oil and water by hand until it becomes smooth, soft and elastic. Shape the dough into a smooth ball, put it in a bowl, coat it lightly with oil. Wrap it in plastic and let rest for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 220C and prepare a baking tray, covering it with baking paper.
- Meanwhile, roast the breadcrumbs with the butter.
- Prepare the apples, peeling and cutting into small, thin slices around 2-3mm thick. Place in a bowl with lemon juice, lemon peel, sugar, raisins, rum and cinnamon.
- Put the strudel cloth on a bench and lightly flour. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough. Flour the back of your hands and slowly stretch the dough with your knuckles, until it’s paper-thin.
- Brush the dough carefully with melted butter and spread the toasted breadcrumbs on ¾ of the dough. Place the apple slices on the dough in one, even layer, leaving 3cm to the edge. Cut off the thick ends of the dough and fold in the sides to avoid loss of filling.
- Using the strudel cloth, roll the dough, starting at the apple topped end and put the strudel on the lined baking tray. Brush the strudel with butter and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, reduce the heat to 180C and continue to bake for another 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Interested in attending a class at Andante on your next holiday? Check out our river cruise itineraries that have excursions to Andante here.