In October, Melinda – part of our Sales team in Australia – discovered the Rhine onboard an Avalon Waterways river cruise.
So, you’ve had enough of packing up your luggage every few days, running for trains, misinterpreting foreign signs, and coming home feeling like you need a holiday after your holiday?
What if you could see iconic European destinations without all of these hassles?
River cruising is the answer and Avalon has the right mix of luxurious amenities teamed with a relaxed atmosphere to ensure everyone is well and truly rejuvenated at the end of their itinerary. Here are seven reasons why you should cruise with Avalon:
1. You can unpack once.
Hang everything in the wardrobe, put all your toiletries away and tuck your suitcase away and out of sight under your bed.
2. Magically wake up in a new destination each day.
Spend your commute time in luxurious lounges, savouring delicious cuisine or even hitting the gym!
3. There is plenty of time to relax
Of course, there is plenty of time to relax – whether it’s in your Panorama Suite watching the world sail by, enjoying the company of your travelling companions, or you can even squeeze in some emails with the included Wi-Fi onboard.
4. You will never feel crowded
With a maximum of 166 passengers onboard, your Suite Ship will never feel crowded, and you’ll never miss out on a deck chair on the Sky Deck.
5. There’s no risk of being thirsty!
Grab a coffee or BeWell Essence mineral water from the Club Lounge, enjoy regional beer and wine over sumptuous meals, and even Happy Hour drinks are included each night.
6. Prefer your own personal space? No problem.
With maximised cabin configuration you can relax in comfort on your sofa, enjoying the fresh air wafting in from an 11 foot wide Open-Air Balcony. You could even drift off for a nap facing the meandering view from the Comfort Collection beds.
7. Choose your own adventure
Whether you choose Active adventures, Classic monuments or Discovery style experiences, Avalon has an included option to choose from. Best of all, there is no need to pre-select your excursions. Simply join the relevant local guide on the day, wherever your mood takes you.
I also loved being able to explore smaller villages and towns that would otherwise be a mere fleeting gaze from a train window. These were my top five while sailing on the Romantic Rhine:
- Taste the famous Rüdesheimer coffee or marvel at the largest collection of mechanical musical instruments at Siegfried’s Mechanical Music Museum
- Take a guided bike ride around the heart of Cologne, before taking in the grandeur of the gothic twin-spired UNESCO World Heritage listed Cathedral
- Hike up Philosophers’ Way for incredible vistas of Heidelberg township and the majestic castle perched high on the opposite bank
- Immerse yourself in early Renaissance buildings & fairy tale-like colourful villages such as Colmar, famous for being the inspiration behind Belle’s hometown in Beauty & The Beast
- Sample the local produce in the Alsace French wine region or learn about the rich history between France & Germany during WWII at the Maginot Line, an elaborate underground defensive bunker
It really doesn’t get any easier than this. Period. Sit back, relax and let the experienced team at Avalon take care of all the details for you.
Check out the full range of itineraries available with Avalon Waterways today!