Want to travel but don’t have a lot of extra time to spare? Sometimes a quick trip to a pretty city is just the escape you need. Here, we’ve highlighted some of our favourite European cities that are perfect to spend a weekend in:
Nicknamed the ‘Capital of Peace’, Geneva is a city you probably won’t want to leave! Located between the banks of Lake Geneva and the Alps, Switzerland’s second-largest city is arguably one of Europe’s most beautiful cities. Home to the headquarters of the World Trade Organisation, World Health Organisation, International Committee of the Red Cross and the European headquarters of the United Nations, Geneva has a long history of diversity and tolerance, resulting in a second-to-none cultural centre featuring world class entertainment, top rated restaurants and unlimited options for recreation.
- Admire the Jet d’Etat fountain in Lake Geneva
- Visit St. Peter’s Cathedral
- Go on an excursion to Mont Blanc
- Eat fondue
- Visit Pâquis Baths to relax and unwind
Italy’s romantic city – it’s hard not to fall in love with Venice and its historic buildings, enchanting canals and famous gondolas. With so much on offer, planning a weekend trip can be overwhelming, however by starting with our ‘must-do’s’ below, your trip will be much easier.
- Visit Doge’s Palace and the Bridge of Sighs
- Go on a gondola ride
- Visit Murano Island to watch glassblowing
- Attend a classical concert at Venice’s prestigious Scuola Grande di San Teodoro concert hall
- Try squid ink pasta
Prague, Czech Republic
Whether you love history, castles, natural beauty or beer, you’re guaranteed to find something you’ll love in Prague. Since the falling of the Iron Curtain in 1989, tourism and investment has been on the rise, turning the previous communist capital into the thriving metropolis it is today.
- Visit Prague Castle (Hradcany) and St. Vitus’ Cathedral
- Go to the top of the Astronomical Clock Tower
- Drink a pilsner
- Walk across Charles Bridge
- Try a trdelnik
From history and culture to fine food and a lively atmosphere; there’s a reason why London is one of the world’s most visited cities. While there’s a lot to be covered in the city (ranging from traditional to modern), we think that just makes the perfect excuse to return again and again.
- Go for a spin on the London Eye
- Visit a local pub
- Go to the Tower of London
- Take a stroll through Hyde Park to Kensington Gardens
- Drink high tea
Portugal’s capital city is perfect for a weekend getaway – bursting with culture, great places to eat, sleep and party, as well as being affordable. There’s a lot to see in Lisbon, however it’s generally regarded that it takes three days to fully discover the city – perfect!
- Explore Alfama, the Moorish quarter of the city
- Stop at Belem Tower
- Try Portugal’s famous Port wine
- Take a day trip to Sintra
- Treat yourself to an evening of Fado music
Think a vibrant food scene, unique historic architecture, balmy coastal Mediterranean weather and a lively nightlife sounds too good to be true? Think again. Barcelona has it all and often finds its way onto many traveller’s itineraries – and we can understand why!
- Tour La Sagrada Familia Basilica
- Sample Spanish Tapas
- Take a day trip to Monserrat
- Go to a flamenco show
- Go to the Barcelona Zoo